Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Martial Artist Looks at Ephesians 3:14-21, Part 4

Ephesians 3:18
And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love really is.

How big is God’s love?

It is big enough for Him to send His son to die for us. That’s pretty big. "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Did Christ die for us because we are wonderful and great? No. There is nothing good in us, nothing at all. We were actually His enemies before we became Christians. God called us and loved us while we were His enemies.

How should we treat our enemies? I know karate… should I beat my enemy to a bloody pulp? That kid doesn’t like me, he calls me names… should I punch him out? What did Christ do for us while we were His enemies? He loved us.

So, the kid that calls me names, I can ignore. I can try to be a friend, I can laugh and not take the words seriously, because God loves me and it really doesn’t matter what some kid thinks. The kid that picks a fight with me… do I let myself get beaten up? No. But do I beat him senseless? No. I defend myself. But with as little harm as possible. I fight back until my enemy quits fighting. I control the situation and I control myself.

I say "kid" that calls me names or picks a fight, but adults do the same. Road rage is a serious problem. Someone cuts in front of me or is rude driving down the road. I get mugged. These are the adult versions of what the kids face. Always defend yourself when necessary, but is it necessary to get violent in traffic?

Think about your life. Think about how Christ loves you, in spite of your sinful nature. Meditate on how wide, long, high and deep God’s love is. Show that same love to others.


Rebecca A Givens

No comments: