Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Christian's Prayer

Blessed God,

Ten thousand snares are mine without and within,
defend Thou me;

When sloth and indolence seize me,
give me views of heaven;

When sinners entice me,
give me disrelish of their ways;

When sensual pleasures tempt me,
purify and refine me;

When I desire worldly possessions,
help me to be rich toward Thee;

When the vanities of the world ensnare me,
let me not plunge into new guilt and ruin.

May I remember the dignity of my spiritual release,
never be too busy to attend to my soul,
never be so engrossed with time
that I neglect the things of eternity;
thus may I not only live, but grow towards Thee.

Form my mind to right notions of religion,
that I may not judge of grace by wrong conceptions,
nor measure my spiritual advances
by the efforts of my natural being.

May I seek after an increase of divine love to Thee,
after unreserved resignation to Thy will,
after extensive benevolence to my fellow creatures,
after patience and fortitude of soul,
after a heavenly disposition,
after a concern that I may please Thee in public and private.

Draw on my soul the lineaments of Christ,
in every trace and feature of which Thou wilt take delight,
for I am Thy workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus,
Thy letter written with the Holy Spirit's pen,
Thy tilled soil ready for the sowing, then harvest.


Taken from The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions

No comments: