Friday, December 26, 2008

Easy

Matthew 11:28
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

This is a paradox to me. I do not find the Christian life easy. I find myself in a constant struggle with my sin nature. I find myself at war with the world and with Satan. What is easy about that?

Perhaps I am putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable. If I take this verse in the context of the entire Bible, the meaning changes. Jesus doesn’t actually say that living the Christian life is easy. He says He will give me rest. Elsewhere Christ promises trouble and hardship on this earth. But the burden and the work of living the Christian life is supposed to be on God, not on me. He promises to do the work, He promises to hang on to me, He promises He is in control. My job is to rest in His promises. My job is to let Him work through me. But that is the difficulty! I want to do the work myself! I don’t want to need Him! Believe me, living the Christian life on my own is anything but easy. My little puny self against my sin nature, the world, and Satan is not going to make it. But God the Creator and Ruler of all can handle whatever comes against Him; it’s easy for Him. That is rest and peace!

No comments: