Sunday, November 30, 2008

Goals - 2009

OK, I know it is only the end of November, and New Years is still a month away. Christamas is coming, and that is probably all that is on your mind. But you really should take some time in the month of December to think about your goals for 2009; particularly your Bible reading and studying goals. This should be an important part of your life! Be realistic. Did you set a goal for 2008? Was it more than you could manage? Did you accomplish anything?

Bible study is important. Today's society is largely ignorant about the Bible. So many mainline denominations place their emphasis on worship and experience and many Believers are not getting the meat of the Word. Go look for it! There are many Bible Study tools available, but you have to look for them. The Sunday morning sermon is a great place to start, but don't let that be all you get. Knowledge of God needs to go hand in hand with worship and experience with God.

I am behind in my 2008 goal of reading through the entire Bible chronologically, but I will finish by the end of February, so I am going to finish that first. But I am already thinking about what I will do next. I wish I could read the Bible through again, but I also want to do more in depth study and spend more time meditating and thinking on scripture. I can't do both. So for this year, I think I am going to pray through Psalms daily, maybe listen to Proverbs a few times, and study and memorize from the book of Romans. Or, now that I think about it, I might listen through the Bible at a somewhat leisurely pace... perhaps the Audio Bible would be a good Christmas present...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky!

I noticed on your blog that you'd like to memorize from Romans. I wanted to tell you about www.songsofscripture.com. The composer Alicia Pearce has a CD of Romans 6, 7, and 8 sung with classical guitar acoompaniment. It's beautiful, and you can borrow mine if you're not sure you want to buy.
: )

becky said...

I will have to check that out... the older I get the harder it is to memorize. I can remember the general idea and my own impressions, but word for word gets harder every year!