Monday, June 22, 2009

Shadow

The valley of the shadow of death;
valley
shadow
death
darkness.

It is everywhere
all around me
inside me.

Sucking the life
the joy
the peace
from me.

The valley
the pit
the abyss
I cannot take my eyes from it.
The darkness rises like a fog from it.

Is there no light anywhere?
Is there no mountain other than the edge of the abyss?
Must I dwell in darkness?
Is that where I live and move and have my being?

I am blind in the blackness;
suffocating in the fog and smoke.

Yet I remember –

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,

He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk

through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

©Rebecca A Givens, 06/14/09

No comments: