Saturday, June 6, 2009

Protection

I changed the prayer below into singular first person... that makes it personal for me as I read it and pray it. I suggest you also use it to pray for your family and your church. I love well-worded printed prayers. Far from being rote to me, these prayers put into great words what I want to say to God.
O Lord God,

Thou art my preserver, governor, saviour, and coming judge.

Quieten my soul to call upon thy name;
Detach me from the influence of the flesh and the senses;
Impress me with the power of faith;
Promote in me spirituality of mind
that will render my services acceptable to thee,
and delightful and profitable to myself.

Bring me into that state which attracts thine eye,
and prepare me to receive the proofs of thy love.

Show me my danger, that I may fly to thee for refuge.

Make me sensible of my sin's disease,
that I may value the good physician.

Placard to me the Cross, that it may slay the enmity of my heart.

Help me to be watchful over my ways,
jealous over my temper,
diligent over my heart.

When I droop, revive me,
When I loiter, quicken me,
when I go astray, restore me.

Possess me with more of that faith
which is the principle of all vital godliness.

May I be rich in faith,
strong in faith,
live by faith,
walk by faith,
experience the joy of faith,
do the work of faith,
hope through faith.

Perceiving nothing in myself,
may I find in the Saviour
wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, redemption.

Taken from The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions

No comments: