Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sovereignty AND Free will

In Psalm 52:12 David asks God:

Restore unto me the joy of your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.

Several years ago I was struggling in my Christian walk. I didn’t want what God wanted, and I knew it. So my prayer was very similar to David’s. Lord, change my heart to match Yours. Make me want what You want. I wanted to want God, but I didn’t. I hated that I was struggling so much, but seeing David pray the same thing in this verse makes me feel so much better!

Along with praying that God would make me want what He wants, I often wish that He would just stop me from sinning. After all, He is sovereign, He can control my actions. So why does He let me continue in my pigheaded way to do stupid things? I don’t want this choice… this responsibility!

An answer is found in an earlier Psalm, also written by David, Psalm 39:9:

Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.

God doesn’t want me to come to Him like a robot, He wants me to chose Him. He gives me a chance to prove my love to Him by my obedience. He lets me struggle with my own desires and my own will so I can grow stronger.

But at the same time, I couldn’t do it without Him enabling me to! These 2 verses seem to contradict one another… God, make me willing. Becky, don’t come because you have no choice, come because you want to.

Something to think about.

No comments: