Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Who am I?

Who am I?
Who did God create me to be?

I am a child of God –
The Creator
The Redeemer
The Sustainer

He created me
as a person
an individual
with strengths and weaknesses
with likes and dislikes
with a distinct personality

He gives me
life
salvation
strengths
abilities
gifts

He sustains me
in life and death
strength and weakness
peace and war

Yet like the people Paul speaks of, I have focused on the creation rather than the Creator,
on who He created me to be – rather than who He is.

Me, the individual personality is subordinate to me, the Believer in Christ,
me, the Daughter of the King.

I am His.
He gives me gifts for His own sake
and for His own glory.

Yet I focus on myself
and on my gifts
and somehow I don’t see
The Creator and The Giver.

In the pursuit of being who He created me to be
I somehow lose sight of who He is.

The question must not be, “Who am I?”
but, “Who is God?”

Lord – take me out of who I am, and bring me in to who You are.

Rebecca A Givens, 06/2009

No comments: