Friday, October 10, 2008

Habakkuk on the Economic Crisis

Today I read the book of Habakkuk. Here is the end of that book:
Habakkuk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enable me to go on the heights.

A modern paraphrase might read something like: "though I lose my job, though the stock market crashes, though I don't have enough food, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength." I'm not sure what the modern version of a deer might be... maybe a hummer?

But the point is this. God is still God, still Sovereign over all, even in the midst of economic hardship and crisis. And He will give us the strength to get through it. It won't be fun or easy; He never says He will make it all go away. But He is our strength and He is where our joy comes from, not from ourselves and not from our circumstances and not even from a full belly.

I really needed that reminder today.

No comments: