Saturday, December 17, 2011

Romans 8:18-21

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

This starts a new section in my Bible, but wrongly I think. The previous section ended with if indeed we share in His sufferings in order that we may also share in His glory. This section continues that thought. Our present sufferings are nothing compared to our future glory! Not only that, but all of creation will share in our glory! Creation was cursed along with Adam and Eve in the garden. It was frustrated, unable to achieve its purpose, which was to glorify God, among other things. But at the end of time, when the children of God are liberated from our sin nature and our dying bodies, creation will also be liberated from its death.

Nature always points to God, the amazing power and creativity of God. Paul talked about this early in the book of Romans. If now, in its decay, nature points to God, just imagine what it will be like when it is liberated from that death!

It occurs to me that maybe this refers to us too, to our created bodies.

I am “creation” – creation is cursed by God
I become a Believer – a child of God
But I am still in bondage to decay
At the end I will be resurrected
Brought into glorious freedom
Freedom from sin and death and decay
That is when the outward manifestation of salvation will be revealed -
GLORY
Right now, on earth, I suffer, I am in bondage, I decay
Then will be glorious freedom

No comments: