Monday, April 26, 2010

Shepherd of Tender Youth

"Shepherd of tender youth, guiding in love and truth
Through devious ways: Christ, our triumphant King,
We come Thy Name to sing;
Hither our children bring, to shout Thy praise.
Thou art our holy Lord, the all-subduing Word,
Healer of strife: Thou didst Thyself abase,
That from sin's deep disgrace,
Thou mightest save our race and give us life.
So now and till we die, sound we Thy praises high,
And joyful sing: infants, and the glad throng,
Who to Thy church belong,
Unite to swell the song to Christ our King. Amen."

Clement of Alexandria

2 comments:

robert said...

Thanks for posting Clement's hymn. I have to smile when some folks talk about an "old hymn," and I know it was written in my lifetime. But with "Shepherd of Tender Youth," there's no question. Henry Dexter gave us the English version in 1849, but the original was written around AD 200. That's not much more than a century after the death of the Apostle John!

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

becky said...

thanks, I will!