Friday, April 2, 2010

Lies Women Believe - on emotions

I am making my way through this fabulous book... and today's section was called "I can't help how I respond when my hormones are out of whack. (It's understandable to at like a shrew at certain times.)"

sigh. I wish I could reprint the entire section here for you. Go read the book. But here are some things that stick in my mind.

(italics are my own thoughts)
"So if we feel a sudden craving for a big bowl of chocolate ice cream at 10:00 at night, we head for the freezer and pull out the ice cream. (this is why I don't buy ice cream) If we feel like staying up and watching a late-night movie, we do so (I did that Sunday night and regretted it for 2 days). If we don't feel like getting out of bed the next morning, we pull the covers up over our head and call in sick at work. If we don't feel like cooking a meal that night, we call for pizza delivery(guilty on a regular basis). If we don't feel like cleaning our house, we let it go until the mess is so great we are really depressed (this would be my normal state of house cleaning).
The problem is, if we cater to our emotions and let them control our actions in these kinds of daily routines, we will be more vulnerable to being controlled by our emotions in the major transitions and difficult seasons of life."

"Certainly what happens in our bodies does affect us emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually. We cannot isolate these various dimensions of who we are - they are inseparably intertwined. But we fall into the trap of the Enemy when we justify fleshly, sinful attitudes and responses based on our physical condition or hormonal changes."

"Didn't God make our bodies? Doesn't He understand how they work? Do you think things like menstrual cycles, hormones, pregnancy, and menopause catch Him off guard?"

"You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made... When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

No comments: