Sunday, September 6, 2009

Toes and other small things...

Six and one half weeks ago I hurt my foot… my little toe and the surrounding joints. It is hard to believe that that one tiny area could rule my entire body the way it did. I was tired, depressed, claustrophobic, restless, aching and stiff because I couldn’t work out or even walk. Small things can have a large affect.

My little toe affected my entire body. It reminds me of the yeast of the Pharisees working into the whole batch of dough. Yeast is such a small percentage of bread dough ingredients, yet it has a huge affect on the loaf of bread. What was the yeast of the Pharisees? Their teachings. What did they teach? A works based salvation. I have to do enough right things to gain God’s favor. There is nothing wrong with doing right things! But when we think that is how to be saved… we miss the point. We miss the power of Christ’s death and resurrection. We miss the fact that it is God who saves us, not we who save ourselves through our own strength. We miss the attitude of love for God rather than duty to Him, and we completely miss His love for us. All of this because of a little twisting of the truth.

No comments: