Sunday, August 2, 2009

Listen

All the experts agree that we should spend time talking to our kids, without distractions. Turn off the computer and the television, put down the newspaper, and give your full attention to your kids. Same goes for your spouse. Our families need our undivided attention. We all need to be heard by those closest to us, we need to know that we are important.

Yesterday I was rushing around trying to get out the door to get to work, when I realized I hadn’t had time to sit down and talk to God. I hastily decided that once again we would talk in the car on the way to work. Soon I was driving down the road with the radio on, it was a Christian station, and the words in the paragraph above came to mind.

How often has my husband felt neglected because I was sitting in front of the computer while I was with him? How often have my children been talking to me but I was only half listening because my eyes were somewhere else?

I was reminded that as a Christian I have entered into a relationship with God. Just like my relationship to my husband or my children, that relationship requires some time and some undivided attention. Yes, He is always with me, even in the car and in the middle of all my activities. And yes, He hears those prayers that I pray on the run. But do I hear HIM when I am on the run? Do I hear that still, small Voice speaking to me?

Spend some focused, undivided time with God. Not for His sake, He doesn’t need you to make Him feel special; but for your own sake, so you can hear His Voice. Read and pray through His Word. Pray for your family and those around you in need. Ask Him to direct you and teach you and speak to you. Then when you run out the door you will be so much more aware of His Presence in your life because you will be tuned in to His Voice.

Nothing brings me comfort, peace and joy like being aware of God’s Presence in my life.

©Rebecca A Givens, 04/04/09

No comments: