Monday, August 11, 2008

Star Song

A cold front moved through; it left in its wake lovely cool dry air and remarkably clear skies. As I drove off for my paper route in the wee hours of the morning, or the late hours of the evening, depending on your point of view, my eyes were drawn to the night sky. The stars were popping out of a black velvet backdrop. It was an amazing sight. They sparkled and glittered and twinkled in a way I have never seen before. They sang. And as I watched the singing stars, a streak of light flashed across the sky; a magnificent shooting star. I felt my spirits lift, as though something inside me wanted to sing with the stars. As the night grew later and longer, cooler and crisper, the stars continued to sing over me and I saw five more spectacular shooting stars. I made no wishes, rather, I prayed. Astrology is ancient, and I understand why; the night sky does speak to us. It even told the Eastern Wise Men of the coming Savior. Astrology can tell us nothing now, it has forgotten the Creator, but I have not. As my eyes searched the skies I felt the stars singing hope into my soul - hope for the future, hope for an eternity with Christ, hope for opportunity, hope for joy. That hope brought a longing to know the Creator of those stars better, to serve Him better, and to join with the singing stars in their worship of Him.

Where were you … while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? Job 38:7

Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD from the heavens,
praise him in the heights above.
Praise him, all his angels,

praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
Praise him, sun and moon,

praise him, all you shining stars.
Praise him, you highest heavens

and you waters above the skies.
Let them praise the name of the LORD,

for he commanded and they were created.
He set them in place for ever and ever;

he gave a decree that will never pass away.
Psalm 148:1-6


Rebecca A Givens, 08/10/08

No comments: