Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Place of Rest

I spent the last few days alone with God. On the way here I listened to Christian music, to Pilgrim’s Progress, to the writings of Augustine, and to scripture. Then came a day of harp music and Highland Games, then 4 days of peace and quiet, with no responsibility, no schedule, no expectations. It has been really good. It has focused my mind and my heart on God. As I lived in my tent in the camp site under the trees, I wrote a bit, read a lot, relaxed a lot, watched some martial arts videos, and hiked. I had thought I would write more… but most of this week seems to have been about the focus of my heart and that doesn’t really come out on paper. There have not been object lessons. There has been joy, and scripture, and quiet.

Now I am preparing to go back out into the real world. I don’t know if I want to. I do miss my family and friends; but I do not miss responsibility, cooking, or cleaning. I just realized I haven’t thought much about the people I normally pray for, I’ve mostly just thought about God Himself. I think that’s a good thing periodically. For just a little while, to quit asking God for things or for help, and to think about who He is and how He works and His Word; but not forever. He tells me to pray for others. He tells me to do my duties, to raise my children, to love my husband, to support my friends and my church. I am called to teach my class and to train hard.

But this time away has been good. I understand the draw of the monastic life. I think it would have been attractive to me. Except I could never have been a nun! And I don’t think they let women be monastic hermits…

Mark 6:31 – Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

Rebecca A Givens, 7/2/08

No comments: