Saturday, January 26, 2008

Belonging - Part 2

Yesterday I talked about the "sense of belonging" that I feel in the dojo. I said that I get that from feeling safe and secure, taken care of and protected, loved and accepted. I suppose the sense of belonging also comes with knowing that I am where I am supposed to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing. Today I want to talk about this "sense of belonging" in relation to the church.

How many churches have I been in where I felt judged? There was no exceptance or safety; there was only living up to other's expectations and the need to look like everyone else. For the Believer the church should be a place of safety and security, a place where we take care of our own and teach each our members how to take care of themselves, a place where we are loved and accepted as Christ loves and accepts us. Over and over again scripture reminds us to work together, to support and encourage each other, to live in unity and love. And we have the ultimate example of love, Christ's sacrifice on the cross for us, for our sins. He didn't die for our good deeds or to make us look right, He died for our sins so we would be right with God.

I have found that in my church. I have found a congregation that accepts me although I am different from them. They have taken time to get to look past our differences and see Christ in my heart. They have taken care of me when I was in need. They are teaching me the Word of God, and how to live as a Believer.

I consider myself incredibly blessed. I have family in both my church and in my martial arts, I belong to both those families. Tomorrow I'll talk about my family at home.

No comments: