Saturday, November 12, 2011

Romans 8:1-4

(Yes, I did skip a bunch of Romans! I decided to attempt to memorize it, and am starting with Ch 8 because it is what I know the most of. So to help memorize it I am spending time meditating in it, and of course that starts me thinking and praying and writing... and here we are.)

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending His own son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so He condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature, but according to the Spirit.


  • Therefore – you have to look at Ch 1-7 to get to Ch 8. 1-7 are the explanation, 8 is the conclusion.

  • There is no condemnation for Believers, rather, sin itself is condemned in a Believer.

  • You must be in Christ Jesus (note that Christ comes before Jesus here, emphasizing Jesus as Messiah), because only through Him do we get the Spirit.

  • The law of the Spirit of life is set in opposition to the law of sin and death. Spirit leads to life, sin leads to death.

  • The law was powerless because of sin, but God isn’t. His own Son became like man to be a sin offering for man. In doing that He condemned sin in sinful man, leaving us with the righteous requirements of the law.

  • So, the law is not nullified or done away with! It is completely fulfilled in us after Christ kills the sin. But to kill the sin, we must have the Spirit, which comes through Christ. So then we can live according to the Spirit rather than according to the sinful nature.

  • I am free from sin and death, not free from the law. I am not a slave to my sin nature anymore; I have the Spirit inside me to meet the righteous requirements of the law. But following the law is not what saves me, because I haven’t followed it and cannot follow it on my own. The Spirit within me does it. And it is Christ who gives me the Spirit.

No comments: