Sunday, June 20, 2010

Safe

I am safe.
I am with the Shepherd.
We are on the way to green pastures and
sweet clear water.
I follow my Shepherd up narrow winding paths.

It is hard.
I am thirsty and hungry and tired.
The rocky path hurts my feet.
I am afraid of what lurks behind the boulders
and on top of the steep cliffs that line the road.

Yet I walk beside my Shepherd.
He rests His hand on me as we walk.
He speaks to me gently.
He sings to me.
We round a corner to find a quiet pool and shady grass.
We stop to rest and He runs His hands over me,
brushing away the thorns and briars and bugs
that irritate and torture me.

We move on up the rocky path.
I look at the steep uphill climb,
at the danger lurking in the shadows beside the road,
And I am afraid.

I look up at my Shepherd,
And I know that I am safe.
I trust Him to love me,
to care for me,
to keep me.
I choose to watch Him and to follow Him.

Lord, rest Your Hand on me as we walk this road.
Keep me safe.
I am Yours.
I am safe.


©Rebecca A Givens, 06/18/10

No comments: