Saturday, November 7, 2009

Psalm 18:37-45

(I started this series on Psalm 18 2 years ago... and just found the last 2 sections of it in my works-in-progress file. This section was complete, the last one nearly so. I can't believe I never posted them or sent them out.... guess I got distracted by something else!)

I pursued mine enemies and overtook them,
Neither did I turn again, until they were consumed.
I have smitten them, that they were not able to rise,
They are fallen under my feet.
For Thou hast girded me with strength to the battle;
Thou hast bowed down under me those that rose up against me,
Mine enemies also Thou hast made to turn their backs before me,
So that I destroyed them that hate me.
They cried, - but there was none to save them, -
Even unto Jehovah, but He answered them not.
And I beat them small as the dust before the wind,
Like the mire of the streets I emptied them out.
Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people;
Thou hast made me Head over the nations:
A people that I know not, serve me.
At the hearing of the ear, they obeyed me,
The sons of the alien came crouching unto me.
The sons of the alien faded away,
They came trembling out of their fortresses.


Earlier David told us how God delivered him from his peril, now he tells of God giving him victory over his enemies. He was not only victorious, but he totally destroyed those who fought against him. His enemies are gone completely. One day God will completely do away with the enemies of His children. We have three enemies: 1) our own sin nature, 2) Satan, 3) the world. In Heaven none of these will be able to affect us anymore!

No comments: