Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Truth

Truth

Its purpose is not to make me feel good
or to be pragmatic
or to “work for me”.
I don’t have to like it
or be happy about it.

How I feel doesn’t change truth,
How much I like it doesn’t matter to truth.
It is totally outside of me,
It totally does not depend on
my thoughts or feelings,
my attitudes or actions.

Truth just is.

Truth has the eyes of an eagle
and the fierceness of a hawk.

It sees through the mask of deception
both of self and of others.
It judges without prejudice.
It defines right and wrong,
good and evil.

Truth is no respecter of persons;
age, sex, race, nationality, religion,
Truth stands outside all of these
to measure us.

Truth is truth,
no matter the circumstances,
no matter the person,
no matter the time,
no matter the place.

Truth just is.


©Rebecca A Givens, 2/13/09

No comments: