Monday, June 9, 2008

Advice on Depression from Pilgrim's Progress

I just had to share from my reading in Pilgrim's Progress. Christian and his friend Hope are in the dungeon of the Giant Despair. The Giant has beaten them and starved them and is tryng to get them to commit suicide. Christian is very depressed. Hope encourages him with words perhaps I should remember when I get depressed.

1. death would be welcome, but remember that God says, "thou shall not murder."
2. "And let us consider, again, that all the law is not in the hand of Giant Despair."
3. "Others have been taken by him, as well as we; and yet have escaped his hand."
4. "I am resolved to pluck up the heart of a man, and to try my utmost to get from under his hand."
5. Remember how valiant you were before. What hardship, terror, and amazement has thou already gone through?

That night Pilgrim and Hope finally began to pray, and as morning came Pilgrim said,"What a fool am I, thus to lie in a stinking dungeon,when I may well walk at liberty! I have a key in my bosem, called Promise, that will, I am persuaded, open any lock in Doubting Castle."

And his key called Promise did indeed unlock all the locks holding them there.

I have that same key, the Promise of a God who loves me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This portion of "Pilgrim's Progress" came to my mind during church on Sunday. I know it is for me right now. I found your blog searching for the lyrics of "Empty Me". Guess we're on the same frequency. :) I'll be sure to check back here.
Another hs mom

becky said...

someone else on my wavelength could be a bit scary, or encouraging, I'm not sure which... Empty Me hits me everytime I hear it. "the foolish things my heart holds to" sigh