Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thoughts on Prayer

Several years ago I wrote on an index card a list of character traits or attitudes that I wanted to see in myself. I made this card part of my prayer list, and over the years I have added notes and lists to it. This morning as I prayed I decided to share these things with you. I apologize for not having scripture to back it up, perhaps I will go back and add that when I have more time.

The attitudes that follow apply both internally (who I am), and externally (what I do). They apply in all areas of my being: physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional. Here's the list.

Discipline
Intensity
Intimacy (open myself to God, my husband)
Trust (again God, my husband, the right people)
Respect (authority in my life)
Stability
Delight
Other-conscious/centered
Joy
Thankfulness
Approval/non-critical (of others)
Hospitable
Adventure (seek it in God)
Newness (His mercies are new every morning!)
Humility
Mercy (toward others)
Confidence (in God and myself)
Focus
Vulnerable (it's ok to need others)

Some of the notes I have added to my card are:

I am a Warrior and a Saint, a daughter of the King! (act like it!)
Always behave with integrity, honor, and respect.
My "jobs" have a priority: God, husband, kids, church, karate class.

Rebecca A Givens

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your list. I personally have been on a whirlwind of a roller coaster recently. --- Life will hopefully find balance again soon. I'm seeking God in the meantime, and trying to my focus on Him.

I love you bunches and thank you for sharing your journal/thoughts with me!

sunshine

becky said...

I think that the roller coaster is a normal part of the balance. Sometimes it's going up, sometimes it's going down, it rarely stays level for very long...