Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Thoughts on Ephesians 1:11-23

This is part 2 of a series.  Click the link for Part 1
Part 1 of this series

Ephesians 1:11-23 In Him we have obtained an inheritance, again, the inheritance is already obtained, but it comes from Christ, it’s not something I pull out of myself, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, God planned ahead of time to give me an inheritance with Christ.  He planned it according to His own purpose and will, and He will work it all out.  He will work it out.  Not me; so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of His glory.  Paul was definitely to the praise of His glory.  Sometimes I wonder about myself.  But if it’s God who works it out, then will He not also work out my life so it is to the praise of His glory?  Won’t He bring Himself glory in my life?  Yes, God, may my life be to Your Glory.  In Him you also, when you heard the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of His glory.  I heard, I believed, and I was sealed with the Holy Spirit.  He is the deposit and seal that God placed on me when He saved me.  And that in itself is to the praise of His glory!  Saving a sinner could only be done by God’s amazing grace and Christ’s perfect life and precious blood.

For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, I love prayers in scripture.  Praying God’s words back to Him is the ultimate of praying according to His will.  This prayer I pray not only for myself, but for my children; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom Remember, Paul is talking to Believers who have the Holy Spirit… but we don’t always listen, and of revelation in the knowledge of Him, knowledge of Him comes from scripture and the Holy Spirit, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened,  but we don’t always understand or believe and trust what we know, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what is the hope?  Is it heaven, or is it something here on earth?  It is more than salvation.  I think it is everything he’s been talking about so far, and more, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, I love Paul’s adjectives.  Riches, glorious inheritance, ah… maybe that’s part of the hope, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, immeasurable great power, toward me.  Think about that for a minute; according to the working of His great might that He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead this mighty power raised Christ from the dead.  That is the power that God works in me.  In me;  and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, Christ, seated at the right hand of God, in a place of ultimate authority, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.  Christ has authority over all powers and all dominions in all places and times, past present and future.  And He put all things under His feet and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.  This is not just about me as a Believer, but about the whole church, the body of believers.  Together, we form His body.  He is the head, and He fills us with the fullness of God.  That is a hard concept to envision.  Christ at the head, in ultimate authority, working in and through the church with ultimate power, giving us an ultimate inheritance, all to accomplish an ultimate purpose.  All to the praise of His glory.  I need the doxology again. 



Praise God from Whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  Amen.

No comments: