Tuesday, July 5, 2011

John 14:25-27

(NIV)
25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Remember years ago a bumper sticker that said, “God is my co-pilot”? That has always irritated me. If God is the co-pilot that means that I am the pilot and I am in charge. That is heresy for a Christian!

As a new believer I believed a similar heresy about the Holy Spirit. I pictured Him as nothing more than my advisor. He was there to give me, well, advice. I did not see the Holy Spirit as Authority. Reality is that the Holy Spirit is Almighty God living in me. He does not just help me do what I want to do. He does not just give me advice that I can take or leave. He accomplishes God’s work of sanctification in me. I am supposed to follow Him, follow His lead and His guidance, and submit to His authority. He actually accomplishes God’s Will in my life, He doesn’t just assist me here and there.

In a very real sense the Holy Spirit is God’s spokesman in me, just as Christ was God’s spokesman to the world while he lived on this earth.

Father God, thank you for Your Word. Holy Spirit, thank you for Your Presence. Help me always submit to Your Authority in my life. Finish Your work of sanctification in me. Amen.

©Rebecca A Givens, 07/05/11

No comments: