Sunday, May 23, 2010

Longing

I long for something I cannot name.

I long to be something I cannot be
to have something I cannot have
to see something I cannot see
to know something I cannot know
to feel something I cannot feel.

I long to be known completely
to be loved perfectly
to be cared for
to be rescued.

I long to be free
to worship with my whole being
to give myself without hesitation or reservation
to be totally unselfconscious
to lose myself.

What I long for is God in Heaven.

Yet I am here, on earth.
Here the air is thick
the view is obscured
my mind is foggy
my sin nature fights against me.
Here there is pain
disappointment
heartache
distraction.
An enemy within and without.

Even so
He is Immanuel – God with us.
His Word is in my hands, my head, my heart.
He planned my salvation - He came to me and He made a way for me to come to Him.
He lives in me - He is the Holy Spirit
Comforter
Guide
Intercessor
Lover of my soul.

He is all these things
here and now
on this Earth.

He is already what I long for, and one day
He will take me home and
make me what I long to be.
©Rebecca A Givens, 05/09/10

No comments: